PRN Employment in Waldorf, Maryland 20602
Position Overview: The financial counselor educates and assists patients with making informed decisions about payment options and financial arrangements regarding their healthcare services. Determines and verifies patient insurance coverage and eligibility for financial assistance programs. Work with patients to arrange payment plans after discharge from an RCA facility. May obtain insurance authorization for medical procedures and collect money for prior balances and deposits for services to be performed.
- Review daily admissions that are Private Pay.
- Responsible for financially clearing patients at facility bedside or OP registration to obtain cash payment or determine eligibility for various governmental programs.
- Conduct interview with patients and/or family members.
- Records and maintains complete documentation of activities performed on account while in-house.
- Notifies facility case management, social services and admission staff of case screening determinations and outcomes via verbal and written communications.
- Calculate and collect cash payments appropriately for all patients.
- Advises self-pay patients of their medical care options available in the community for future follow-up care.
- Explains facility regulations, such as visiting hours, payment of accounts, charges, etc.
- Participates in data gathering for financial reporting.
- Works closely with Case Management (UR) on a daily basis in regards to patient status changes; whether this would include patient type or insurance notification or insurance coverage.
- Set up arrangements / monthly installment plans for patients to payoff balances within the guidelines of RCA collection policy.
- Assist in registering patients or admitting patients when needed.
- Collection of pharmacy copay’s from patients as required.
- Perform monthly pharmacy bill reconciliation.
- Collect fees related to ancillary services provided to the patient.
- Ensure all relevant patient financial information is entered into the electronic system.
- Conduct face to face discharge meetings with patients, including any account reconciliation and payment arrangement to bring account to a zero balance.
- Participate in the discharge planning process, including keeping relevant management and treatment staff up to date on progress.
- Assist with the resolution of authorized days and outcomes related to uncovered days requiring payment and financing.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED required
- Medical terminology knowledge preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; understanding of databases used in a hospital setting
- Six months previous hospital registration, billing and collections, financial counseling, and/or customer service experience preferred
- Knowledge of CPT/ICD-9 and ICD-10 coding helpful
Job Location: Recovery Centers of America at Waldorf – 11100 Billingsley Road, Waldorf, Maryland 20602